Wednesday 1 April 2015

An Altered Book for Rhedd's Creative Spirit DT

Today I'm sharing photo's of an altered book I made for a dear friend, just because :o)

It started life as a hardback book that I'd bought from a charity shop.  I decided how many pages I wanted to create and then I split the books pages into even sections to match this number, I also removed some pages so that the finished book wouldn't be too bulky.


This is the front cover, I gessoed it first and then painted with brown acrylic.  The medallion squares made from craft foam, which I've heated and textured with some stamps and then aged with some rub'n'buff and added a brad to the center.  I've then added fleur de lis ribbon and a Zetter perfect closure with a padlock clasp.


This is inside the front cover, I've used a Mackintosh style paper as she really likes his roses, and I've added a couple of tags which are created from wallpaper samples and metal foil and coloured with various inky techniques.


The first double page spread was just a cheerful reminder of our friendship using various bits I had hiding in my stash.


For this spread I created a tag shaped window in the middle page so whichever side the book is open on the tag image on the other page can still be seen, I really liked the interest it created although it was really hard to photograph!!  This is the poen I used:


On The Wings of A Butterfly

by Christine McClimans Your friendship is special
Like the flowers that bloom,
Or when a butterfly emerges
From within its cocoon...

You remind me of that butterfly,
Loving and free,
Bright and colorful,
For the world to see...

We will share sunshine and rainbows;
Sometimes, the rain and the snow;
We'll stand together through it,
While the cold winds blow...

When the time is right,
We won't stop to ask "Why?"
Our friendship will take flight
On the wings of a butterfly...

Christine McClimans


And here is another of the double page spreads that I collaged to represent her family tree.


I hope you've enjoyed this little peek!

Thanks for reading
Steffi xx


8 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea Steffi! I'm sure your friend really loves it! Lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because is the BEST artmaking and giving too! The poem is beautiful and so is your delightful journal Steffi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - I agree Just Because is always the best reason!! xx

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely project and I so love the poem.
    The inner pages are gorgeous....xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOO I love what you have done with the book and I am sure your friend will absolutely adore it - I know I would - lots! xx

    ReplyDelete