Thursday 30 April 2015

Altered Beermats for Rhedd's Creative Spirit

Hi, today I'm sharing some altered beermats that I turned into little wall hangings for a recent swap.

They started off as ordinary beermats (other makes of beer are available :o) ) and then I coated them with black gesso.



Then I took a couple of sheets of some designer paper, tore them in order to give a distressed edge, and, placing the beermats on the diagonal, covered one half with the papers in two layers.  On the uncovered half I attached a wooden key and lock which I had coloured with my Krylon copper leafing pen.

The swap was for a 4" x 4" square, and these mats were just under, so I glued a piece of black card to the back, before writing my sentiment, which I'd based on how I'd decorated the front:  'Peel back the layers and unlock your true inner beauty', I added a piece of filigree at the base and doodled a border around the edge.

I then used my crop-a-dile (love it!!) to add an eyelet to the top corner, and strung some ribbon through to create a hanging loop.



Turning back to the front, I realised that the extra piece of card had created a frame, so I used my Krylon on this too.


I wish I'd made more as I would have kept one for myself! 

Thanks for reading 
Steffi :o)
xx

5 comments:

  1. That's so fab Steffie! And a great sentiment too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great alterables Steffi...I love altering beer mats...they are just so versatile...xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. fab use of beer mats - just love it so much and I feel the need to alter one in the future xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is amazing Steffi! Love the sentiment too!

    ReplyDelete