Hi - hard to believe it's been a month since my little deodorant rocket launched - but it really has! And that being the case, today sees the July member's blog-hop for Smeared and Smudged - I enjoyed June's so much I decided I'd join in again, so here we go!
First of all - that all important blog roll:
Sandy - http://altered-artifacts.blogspot.co.uk/
Jane - http://jcocraft.blogspot.co.uk/
Susan - http://susanrenshaw0404.blogspot.co.uk/
Barbara - http://blackholeartstudio.blogspot.co.uk/
Erin - http://followyourcraftyside.blogspot.co.uk/
Teresa - http://www.thefatcactus.co.uk/
So if you are following along with the hop, you should have arrived here from Barbara's blog and then there are two more stops after me!
The challenge theme for this month's hop was simply 'Steamy' for us to interpret as we wished. I (obviously!) thought steampunk, and this is what I have created.
I have had a semi-prepped tryptich hanging around for ages - it was meant for my PaperArtsy piece earlier in the year but about 5 days earlier someone else posted almost exactly what was in my head so I shelved the tryptich and went with a canvas instead. So I've been meaning to do something with it and this seemed just perfect. So I gathered it and various steampunky papers together and put my thinking hat on!
Something else I've wanted to play with for a while is digital stamps so I downloaded 'Time for Tea' from The Paper Shelter and as a cup of tea can also be described as 'steamy' I used this as my main image. :o) Please remember then that this is my first time - so be gentle with any comments!
In the final piece I've actually trimmed the image down to just the girl (and her cuppa) as it fitted the center better for me. I first added my various papers (the clock piece in the center was from a 6" x 6" pad and was a little small so I added an extra piece to the bottom half and used some brown ribbon as a trim and to break the eye-line) I also cut down an embossed tag and some bits from the cogs on the outer doors (see below) and used some Rub'n'Buff on them to bring out the detail. I rubber stamped a piece of the watercolour paper with 'Steampunk Time' tore around it and edged it with Antique Linen distress ink.
The outside of the tryptich I've treated like doors. I ran some copper coloured card through my Big Shot using a cogs embossing folder and trimmed it down to fit each side, then ran some metal tape around each piece which I dabbed with some Rub'n'Buff - by dabbing it, it left a slightly textured effect which I really liked. I also fitted two small drawer handles on - but turned them sideways so they look like massive door handles.
And this is the finished piece - hope you like it!
I would like to enter this into the following challenges:
Altered Eclectics - (Always Mixed Media Altered Art) - July - here http://alteredeclectics.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/new-month-and-so-another-challenge.html
A Step in the Darkness - Challenge 5 Anything Goes - here http://a-step-in-the-darkness.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/challenge-5.html
The East Wind Challenge - Challenge 10 Use Ribbon - here http://www.theeastwind.com/2014/07/challenge-10-ribbon.html
The Stamping Chef - Challenge 37 Anything Goes - here http://thestampingchef.com/Challenges/2014/07/09/challenge-37-anything-goes/
Thanks for reading