Tuesday 8 April 2014

tick~tock goes the clock

This is my latest make, a little plaque for my brother-in-law's 50th birthday.


I think it's always difficult deciding how to give something a masculine twist, however Steampunk has made it  a lot easier and as that is a theme I love, I have quite a few cogs, springs and clock-faces lying about!

This is made in two parts, the first is a paper mache plaque, and the second is a re-purposed beer pump clip!  I was lucky enough to snare quite a few of these just last week.  Phil and I had managed to escape for a few days and being real-ale lovers and members of CAMRA we looked up a few pubs.  One that I had especially wanted to visit was The Three Barrels in Berwick on Tweed, it had great write-ups and seemed to boast a great atmosphere - well I'm so pleased we did!  The pub itself is fantastic - definitely worth a visit if you are ever up that way.  The decor is right up my street, very eccentric but it works, it even boasts an old dentist chair!!   Anyway I digress, on one side of the bar was a box of pump clips (these are the plastic labels that attach to the front of a beer pump with the name of the beer on) labelled 'Free to Good Home'!  Obviously I had a good look through, and picked a few I wanted but didn't want to seem greedy.  Phil noticed me drooling (!) and asked the barmaid how many we could take.  All of them if you like, was the reply, as they will just end up in the bin otherwise.  So, they came home with us!

 


So having decided on a slightly steampunk theme for this, I chose one of the clips that was in a shield shape and covered it with several layers of crumpled brown tissue paper.  Once dry, I rubbed some Rub and Buff in Autumn Gold over the surface, blending it in to the creases then when dry, buffing it with a soft tissue.  Next I took a chocolate coloured ink pad and swooshed this over the top.  It's not easy to photograph the end result, but it came out looking like an aged leather.



The paper mache plaque was made by first sticking various elements on the bare surface, numbers, cogs, stars etc. Then I covered it with a sheet of adhesive metal tape.  This was worked into place, and burnished.  I took a combination of alcohol inks and used these to cover the foil.  The next step was to cover the raised elements with a copper leafing pen.  I used to use this technique all the time, it's great over peel-offs too but haven't for a while.  I think it fits in really well with the theme of this piece so was pleased to give it a go again.



The next step was choosing and attaching the elements to the shield.  I chose a word band from Tim Holtz, some clock faces and a large clock spring.


-


And there you have it!


I am entering this into the following challenges:

Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog, Time after Time - here : http://frillyandfunkie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/time-after-time.html


Artful Times, Heavy Metal - here 

Haunted Design House, Steampunky Junk - here http://haunteddesignhouse.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/macarbre-monday-186-steampunk-junk.html this fits the theme as the pump clip was destined for the bin!!

and Inspiration Journal, A Few of my Favourite Things - here : http://blog.inspirationemporium.com/?p=2192


Thanks for reading :o)

Edited to add : Wow! I was a winner at Artful Times :oD  and got this great new badge for my blog!!



23 comments:

  1. it looks great, definitely very masculine! Interesting to read you're CAMRA members. Although I don't like beer, real ale has been a part of my life! My dad is the chairman of our regional branch and organises the beer festival every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been members for a few years now and always enjoy trying new (to us) ales - our local beer festival is always a must!!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic project Steffi! Thanks for sharing it with us at The Artistic Stamper!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, a great bit of recycling and a fantastic present for your brother in law. From the home of brewing, thanks so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steffi, this is a wonderful piece of art! I love your creative process, the texture, and all the elements you've included in your work. Your brother in law is going to love it. Truly a treasure to be cherished. Thanks for sharing it with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy - thanks for your kind comments :o)

      Delete
  5. It's great to have you joining us at Artful Times with your shield love all the details you have added : ) hope we will see you again
    Von x☺x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Von - I certainly hope to take part in more of your challenges!

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful piece and just right for our challenge at Artful Times . Thank you for joining us and thank you for reminding me about the pub as I did pass it a few times last year on holiday-wish we had gone in now

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit Chrissie - if you ever go back, make time to pop in to the pub - we really loved it!

      Delete
  7. What an interesting post Steffi. Must look up that pub when I am in the area.
    Love the project you have done. Steampunk is good for men, I agree, and I especially love how you have done all of this. Thanks for posting the details.
    Thanks also for joining us at Artful Times with this project - hope we see you again. Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neet - thanks for your comments - I shall keep checking the challenges and joining in when I can! :o)

      Delete
  8. A great project, and use of the beer pump clips. I didn't know they existed. Love how you have made it into such a wonderful piece for your BIL.
    Thank you for joining us at Artful Times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project Steffi it fits in well with our challenge. Thanks for joining in at Haunted Design House.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome project thanks for sharing at Haunted Design House

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW is this ever FABULOUS! Love seeing the transformation step by step. thanks for joining us at HDH. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Steampunk project! Love the finishes and textures you've achieved.
    Thanks for joining us in the dungeon at HDH!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cool project. It really looks so masculine and nice. You can tell how much you care about your brother in law by the work that went into this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice project. Thanks for this interesting step-by-step :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice project. Thanks for this interesting step-by-step :)

    ReplyDelete