Saturday 30 November 2013

So  the last few weeks my Fibro has really been getting me down :( must be the change in the weather I guess, it's meant I've missed the last two sessions of the quilt class that I attend and  so my creativity has taken a bit of a nosedive.

Well, that's just no good.  I started this blog in an attempt to raise me out of the doldrums and boost my creativeness.  Today then I'm posting details of an altered tin I made as part of a swap (my first ever!) organised by the lovely Louise (aka Zuzu)  http://zuzuspetalsstuff.blogspot.com/

The tin itself was an old peppermint tine I found in a bric-a-brac-y shop in Horncastle (known as the antiques capital of the Wolds and often used on Bargain Hunt) and bought for 50p :)
 
My first step was to cover the outside of the tin in aluminium adhesive tape and then colour it with Ranger's Alcohol Inks- I used Butterscotch and Bottle; I then used two different sheets of a steampunk themed scrapbook paper and trimmed them down to cover the lid of the tin inside and out and the bottom of the tin on the inside too.  Once the glue had set, I stuck in a little quote card (I'd picked up a box of mini gratitude cards from a local budget store that was selling 3 for £1!) and a few old watch cogs.  In the bottom corner I glued in two little bottles, the taller one filled with small strands of copper foil and the smaller one with little seed beads.  A little bit of the glue (pva) ran from under the bottles but it discoloured to a sort of rusty look so I left it like that :)
 
Onto the lid.  I stuck in place two ornate filigree pieces and a quote stick across the middle 'Where there's a will there's a way' from the end of the quote stick on a double strand of embroidery thread I hung a small key and a heart.
 
The tin I received back was an old Oxo tin, it was cube shaped which made it different from a lot of the altered tins you see on Pinterest, I was really pleased to receive it :)
 
Zuzu also has a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zuzus-Petals-Altered-Art-n-Stuff/250932564937553?id=250932564937553&sk=info which has a showcase of all the tins from the swap, and she will hopefully be hosting many more swaps in the New Year and beyond.
 
Now then, that's cheered me up :)


No comments:

Post a Comment